9 Stretch 5 Pocket Pant Fabrics You Need To Consider
by Ruffin Cramer on Jan 07, 2024
- Spandex, also known by the brand name Lycra, is a synthetic fiber known for its exceptional elasticity. It is often blended with other fabrics to add stretch and enhance comfort in pants.
- Elastane is another term for the synthetic fiber Spandex. It is commonly blended with cotton, polyester, or other fabrics to give them stretch properties.
- Cotton Blend with Spandex:
- Cotton blended with a small percentage of Spandex provides a balance of breathability and stretch. This combination is often used in casual and chino-style pants.
- Polyester Blend with Spandex:
- Polyester blended with Spandex is common in activewear and performance pants. This blend offers moisture-wicking properties, durability, and stretch for increased comfort during physical activities.
- Nylon Blend with Spandex:
- Nylon is a lightweight and durable synthetic fiber that, when blended with Spandex, creates pants suitable for outdoor activities, sports, and athleisure wear.
- Denim with Stretch:
- Traditional denim has evolved to include stretch fibers like Spandex or elastane. This blend maintains the classic denim look while providing added comfort and flexibility.
- Tencel/Lyocell Blend with Spandex:
- Tencel, also known as Lyocell, is a sustainable and breathable fabric. When blended with Spandex, it creates pants with a soft feel and stretch, making them suitable for casual or dressy occasions.
- Wool Blend with Spandex:
- In more formal or dress pants, you may find wool blends that incorporate a small amount of Spandex for stretch. This combination allows for increased comfort without sacrificing a polished appearance.
- Stretch Supreme Cotton
- A luxury cotton sateen with a proprietary blend ideally suited for everyday, active, casual and light formal and tuned for five pocket pants, shorts, and chinos - developed by New Found Thread.
These fabrics cater to different preferences and occasions, ranging from casual and athleisure wear to more formal or business settings. The specific blend used often depends on the desired characteristics of the pants, such as breathability, durability, or stretchability. However the cotton blends, especially Stretch Supreme Cotton provide more versatility and use options.